Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

As part of my Lenten discipline, I'm hoping to write here more regularly. (I'd love to say I'll write every day, but I'm not sure that's possible. I'll try for five days a week, just so that my goal is measurable.) I love the act of writing, and far too often it falls through the cracks in my life. I hope that by writing as part of my Lenten discipline, I can get back into the habit.

I love Lent. That may sound odd to those for whom Lent seems long and horrible. And, I'm certainly glad to lose the music in minor keys come Easter Sunday! But, what I love about Lent is that for 40 days plus Sunday, God feels closer. Whatever I choose to do for Lent serves to remind me of God. And, if I've chosen well, I am reminded over and over again of God's presence. My discipline (which I can't keep just because of my own strong will) brings me to my knees before God.

I hope for a Holy Lent. And I hope the same for you, wherever you are. May this season of prayer, fasting, and repentance bring you closer to the Holy One, who loves us and longs for us as a mother longs for her children.

No comments: